Thursday, May 30, 2013

Preparing For A Career

            One of the first questions poeple ask me when they first meet me is either: "What college do you go to?" or "What college do you plan on going to?" It's funny how most people don't ask me whether or not I'm going to college, they ask me what college I'm currently attending, or what college do I plan on attending in the future.
              So you can imagine the utter shock on peoples faces when I kindly inform them that I am not, nor do I plan on attending college. It is automatically assumed that I am either a loser with no drive or I am uneducated as to how essential college is. Whichever category people choose to place me in there is still one universal category that I am destined to be apart of: failure.
                In the eyes of most people college is the only way to obtain success in life; it's the only way to a career. When I tell people that I am still preparing for a career, as a Godly wife and mother, they don't undertand me, because well... How can you obtain a career without attending college?
               Well first what is a career? The definition of career is an occupation or profession, especially one requiring special training, followed as one's lifework. I definitely believe that to be a wife and mother that is glorifying to God requires special training from older women ( as it says in titus 2:3-5), and most importantly from God's word, as it says in Psalm 32:8, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with my eye." Also I believe that being a wife and a mother is an occupation that becomes one's lifework.
                  I am not saying that one cannot obtain a career through college, because that would be foolish. What society has backwards is that college is used to define a person instead of Godly character. Also society has it that college is the ONLY way to be happy and successful in life. College is not the only way to a fruitful life, God is the only way to a fruitful life.
                   Proverbs 16:9 says, "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Also Proverbs 20:24 says, "A man's steps are of the Lord; How then can a man understand his own way?" These two Proverbs tell us that we may think we have it figured out, but God is the only one that truly knows the path that He has for us, and that path may or may not lead through college.
                     So as I am waiting on the Lord to lead me to my future husband, my career is preparing for my career. What career are you preparing for?
                       "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
                                                                        -Alexandra
           

2 comments:

  1. Wise words, Alexandra. Although I have not been in this situation yet, I can totally understand the feeling of people thinking you are stupid because you are homeschooled.

    And as always, thank you for sharing. :)

    In Christ and for Christ,
    ~Anna Elizabeth
    http://thesongofthemaidens.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always thank you so much!! I appreciate your comments and encouraging words!
    In Him,
    ALexandra

    ReplyDelete